General Motors revealed the newly installed and dedicated National Historic Landmark bestowed upon the GM Technical Center located in Warren, Mi, on Aug. 6, 2015

General Motors revealed the newly installed and dedicated National Historic Landmark bestowed upon the GM Technical Center located in Warren, MI, on Aug. 6, 2015 The National Park Service selected the campus for this honor because it possesses national significance as one of the most important works of modernist architect Eero Saarinen. When the GM Tech Center was dedicated in 1956, it was the pinnacle of engineering, design and advance technology, and marked Saarinen’s emergence onto the international stage as an architect, planner and designer of total environment. In the background to the North East of the land mark, is one of the most striking features of the campus - the stainless steel-clad water tower located on the northeast corner of the central lake. Built in 1954, it is 140-ft. high and holds 250,000 gallons of water. The tower functions visually as the counterpoint to the aluminum-clad design dome at the southwest corner of the lake. Both of these shining, light-colored metal elements provide key curvilinear moments in the predominantly rectilinear geometry of the campus. GM’s Research Administration building borders the lake to the North of the footprint.