Innovating For A New Direction: The Ambitious Road To Automotive Excellence
The energy at GM is contagious. We're driven by our immense passion, as we constantly seek out challenges and identify new opportunities. We work hard to connect with our customers and earn their loyalty for life.
We're creating a culture where everyone feels valued and our talent has the freedom, and opportunity to grow, learn, and evolve as professionals. The practices at GM are principled and consistent, where bold contributions are recognized and acknowledged.
Our people push the limits of automotive capabilities by creating vehicles with engaging performance, easy-to-use technology and impressive fuel economy. We approach innovations through the lens of our customers as we try to solve for unmet needs and invent solutions that create a stronger bond between the driver and their vehicle.
- Move faster and take risks to achieve sustained success, not just short-term results
- Lead in advanced technologies and quality in creating the world's best vehicles
- Give employees more responsibility and authority and then hold them accountable
- Create positive, lasting relationships with customers, dealers, communities, union partners and suppliers to drive our operating success
Workplace of Choice:
Becoming a Workplace of Choice is an important objective for GM Canada. We strive to provide our employees with a work environment that creates an intense desire to be a part of our organization through the opportunity to contribute to our shared success. We provide opportunities for our employees to have meaningful careers.
It is important that our employees have both the tools and the authority to efficiently perform their jobs in a personal way. We encourage the kind of teamwork that focuses on the achievement of common goals through the inspiration and motivation of others.
GM Canada has created a number of specific initiatives designed to increase employee engagement and continue to work closely with our employees to identify new ways to foster a Workplace of Choice.
Your Hard Work Rewarded
When you join one of the largest organizations in the world, you can expect a rewarding experience and benefits on a similar scale. As a GM Canada employee, you will have access to a variety of programs and health benefit options to support you and your family. GM employees and their immediate family members are also able to purchase GM vehicles at a significant product discount. All this makes GM Canada the perfect place to get your career moving.
Learning and Development
Everything you need to develop your skills and realize your career goals.
- 24-hour access to online training through the GM Learning Environment
- Tuition assistance plan
- Leadership development program
- Career path planning
- Cross-functional developmental opportunities
- Promotion of internal opportunities
- Possibility of international career opportunities
- Mentoring and coaching programs
An environment which encourages a balance between work and personal life.
- Alternative work arrangement options such as flexible hours, telecommuting and job sharing
- Family-friendly programs such as adoption assistance, maternity and parental leave top-up, dependant care leave and personal leave
- Paid annual holidays in excess of statutory requirements
- Attractive vacation and time off policies
A culture where collaboration and team work is fostered.
- GM's code of conduct; Winning With Integrity
- Open door policy
- Casual dress code
- Regular employee engagement surveys
- Company newsletter, regular employee communications and shared online environment
- Religious and disability accommodation
- Various social events and company celebrations
A competitive total compensation package.
- Competitive total compensation regularly benchmarked to ensure market competitiveness
- Enhanced variable pay program linked directly to GM's business performance
- Performance-based merit program
- Recognition awards
- Discount on GM vehicles for employees and their family members
Pension and Benefits
A comprehensive benefit and retirement program for you and your family including such things as:
- Health care benefit coverage for prescription medication, dental, vision, audio, chiroproactic, massage therapy, physiotherapy, naturopath, speech therapy and out-of-province travel coverage to name a few.
- A Health Care Spending Account that assists in paying for eligible claims that are not covered under the GMCC Health Care plan or provincial plans.
- A defined contribution Pension Plan (DCPP)
- The DCPP is the foundation of the GMCC Retirement and Savings Program. GMCC makes basic contributions to your DCPP account each month. You can make optional tax-deductible contributions to your account and receive additional Company matching contributions, subject to Income Tax Act limits.
- Savings Plans
- To supplement your retirement benefits, you can make contributions through payroll deduction to any or all of the following savings plans.
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)
- Non-Registered Savings Plan (NRSP)
- Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA)
- Comprehensive Group Life insurance coverage with the option to enrol in additional Life, Dependent Life, Critical Illness and Accidernt insurance at group rates.
- Discounts on GM vehicles
Health and Wellness
The resources and support you need for Whole Body Wellness.
- The Revved4Health wellness program supports physical, mental and financial health for salaried employees and offers the opportunity to earn points that can be redeemed for dollars in your Registered Retirement Savings Plan, Health Care Spending Account or Personal Spending Account.
- Fitbit challenge to encourage employees to be more active
- Courses taught by Naturopathic Doctor to support the principles of a healthy lifestyle to help fend off and manage disease, and achieve the optimal body weight
- Lunch and Learn training sessions regarding mental health, budgeting, time management etc.,
- Lifeworks Employee and Family Assistance program (EAP) provides 24/7 online and telephonic assistance for a wide range of issues including grief counselling, depression, legal, elder care, smoking cessation plans, nutrition coaching, etc. Select facilities have on-site fitness and / or medical centres available.
- Events and Activities to promote healthy lifestyle
Diversity and Inclusion Vision GM is committed to building a global culture of diversity and inclusion which will provide a strategic advantage for designing, building, and selling the world's best vehicles.
GM Canada encourages cross-cultural awareness and recognizes the cultural individuality and diversity that is reflected across our country.
GM has 3 affinity groups
whose members represent our diverse workforce, including:
- Women's Council - This Affinity group's mission is to maximize the contributions and opportunities for women by engaging and developing employees resulting in a positive impact on GMCC's business results.
- Asian Indian Affinity Group (AIAG) - The GM Asian Indian Affinity Group's mission is to serve as a formal link between GM and Asian Indus Region Constituency and the GM Diversity Management, Human Resources Staff, and Senior Management. It will strive to improve and strengthen the lines of communication between GM and AIAG members for mutually beneficial career development.
- JumpStart - This affinity group is focused on new hires with less than 5 years of experience at GM. Their mission is to engage, connect and develop GM's newest talent.
To find out what's being done on a global scale regarding diversity, visit our Global Diversity site
GM Canada's community initiatives embrace and support the vibrant and evolving cultural mosaic that makes up the Canadian landscape. GM Canada is committed to supporting organizations and programs designed to affect and improve the quality of life in communities across the country while recognizing the unique multicultural diversity in Canada.
GM Canada supports a variety of activities with a focus four major areas: STEM Education, Safety, Community Sustainability and Environmental Sustainability.
To inspire girls to pursue STEM careers by sparking and harnessing the passion of our employees we will leverage existing programs like 'A world in Motion' or 'First Robotics' to provide informal mentorship and role models.
To increase knowledge about automotive safety by focusing on education & innovation to improve driver habits by leveraging partnerships and public awareness activities, in an effort to reduce the number and severity of mobility-related injuries.
To work in partnership with the community agencies in which we do business by encouraging sustainable improvements in education, income and health.
To educate the next generation on environmental sustainability by focusing on education and protection of the local habitat in the areas where we do business.
Through our presence and commitment, we strive to have a positive impact on the communities where we do business.
United Way GM Canada has been a proud supporter of United Way for many years. Through corporate donations, annual United Way events, and Employee contributions, GM Canada and its employees and Union partners have contributed millions to local community organizations coast to coast.
High Schools, Colleges, and Universities Through our donations to educational institutions across Canada, over 300 scholarship and bursary awards are given out annually to eligible students, in addition to vehicle and engine donations for training purposes to eligible schools.
For a schedule of the latest GM Canada News and Events please visit the News and Events page.